Failing brakes aren’t something that you can shrug off and set aside for later. When your brakes are bad, they require attention immediately. Otherwise, you are putting yourself and others on the road in danger. In fact, did you know that nearly one-fourth of car crashes caused by mechanical failures were brake-related?
Fortunately, worn brakes are easier to spot than most other car problems. They make audible cues, have warning lights, and more. We’ve put together a list of six key signs that indicate your vehicle is due for brake repair.
- Soft or Spongy Brake Pedal - If your foot goes straight to the floor when you press on the brake pedal, that isn’t normal. Your brake pedal should have some resistance to it. This typically means that the pressure is lost, and you should have your brake fluid checked out.
- Squealing Sounds - Does braking sound like a burst to your eardrums? If so, there’s a good chance that it is your brake pad’s wear indicators. When your brakes wear down to a minimum standard, they produce this screeching sound as a reminder to get them replaced.
- Grinding Sounds - Another distinguishable brake sound is grinding. Braking grinding indicates metal-on-metal contact within the brake system. It can be your worn pads clashing against the brake rotor or rusty brake shoes causing a ruckus. It is best to find out by bringing your car into our shop for a brake check.
- Leaky Fluid - Brake fluid is responsible for creating hydraulic pressure to slow down and stop your vehicle. If you notice the reservoir running low or a smelly puddle underneath your car, you may be dealing with leaking brake fluid. It can cause your brakes to be way less effective.
- Car Pulling to One Side When Braking - This is a sign of bad brake hoses or brake calipers. When your vehicle veers while braking, it means there are inconsistencies with the brake fluid pressure.
- Brake Light On - Most vehicles nowadays have a symbol or an alert that pops up when a brake problem is detected by a sensor. When you catch this light, please bring your car to our shop for a proper diagnosis.
Don’t delay your brake repairs, and bring your car to the trusted experts at Apple Auto. We promise to take care of your vehicle with quality brake service and repairs. We’ll have you back on the road in no time.